Most of the time, mold is a naturally-occurring growth in the environment that does little harm to humans.
We throw out moldy bread and scrub mold when it appears, but often, mold spores may exist that are not visible to the naked eye.
However, there are a few people whose health can be affected by exposure to mold. Some people may be particularly sensitive or allergic to mold.
In other cases, people who have a suppressed immune system due to conditions like being HIV-positive, having had an organ transplant or
being on certain types of medication might be susceptible to mold.
In some cases, mold can grow on the skin. Most people have heard of athlete’s foot. This is a bacterial or fungal infection, but mold can complicate it. There are other types of skin infections, including some kinds of eczema, that are caused by mold. Mold can also enter the
lymph glands and, on occasion, may affect other parts of the body in an immunocompromised individual.
Fortunately, mold in the environment can be controlled with substances such as vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.